While the Montréal Jazz festival was the main draw to visit the city, we found that it was a great place to visit, with a wide variety of fun things to do! Here are our top 10:
1. Walk around old town Montréal: Take a free walking tour– the guides are locals who know and love the city, and do a really good job! It is a great way to see the city and learn about some of its more obscure quirky stories.
Botero has reached Montréal too!
2. Walk around the old port: While the city is not entirely in favour of the gentrification and renovation of the vieux port, it makes for a nice stroll by the water.
3. Watch a Cirque du Soleil show: For the uninitiated (like I was until this trip), Montréal is the birthplace of the concept of the Cirque and most shows originate here. We were lucky enough to watch Luzia as it premiered in Montréal before it reached the rest of the world. It was fantastic!
7. Search for the best poutine: No trip in Canada is complete without a lot of poutine! While the taste is definitely a huge selling point, it can be eaten as any meal- we had poutine (on different days) as breakfast, lunch and dinner and apparently that wasn’t strange at all!
8. Surf the St.Lawrence River: Surfing in Montréal seems to be a hush-hush activity that not everyone knows or talks about, but once you know where to find them, the surfers are all definitely there, and pretty awesome to watch!
9 & 10. Attend the Jazz festival (and drink the local beer during it)! Read more about it in our post here.